The story of the GAA in Glenravel dates back to 1916-17, when Rev. T Toal, C.c., who served as President and Chairman, DannyFyfe, Treasurer, and Charles O'Loan and J Higgins as Committee members, formed the first club.
Although the parish is situated on the fringes of the hurling stronghold of the Glens of Antrim, Glenravel started as a football only club. The first competitive success was the winning of the A.O.H. tournament in Loughgiel in 1920, with the captain receiving a gold medal, which is still displayed in the club trophy cabinet. The troubles of the 1920's and the banning of the game caused a partial eclipse of the club. In 1931 it was reorganised under the name of Conn Mag Aoidh, who had long been honoured in the parish for his part in the '98 Rebellion. A trail of glory in the South West Antrim Leagues for the next six years, culminated with the winning, in 1937, of the County Junior Championship.
After a lull in activities during the war, the team, now known as Glenravel CYMS, won the North Antrim League in 1942,43,44 and 46. In 1954 the club, under the name of St. Mary's, entered the All County Intermediate League winning the competition in 1956. The same year the Minor team also won their respective Championship. In 1957 the Club was renamed Conn Mag Aoidh, and in the same year the senior team won the Antrim League Division 1B. Then, in the Division 1A final they defeated Rossa, who were going for their 13th win in a row. A notable feature of this winning team was that they were all pioneers.
The 1960's was the most successful period in the Club history. In 1962 the Junior title was won and in 1964 both the Antrim Under-21 and Minor titles rested in the Glen, and to round it all off, in 1966, the Club's Golden Jubilee, Glenravel were crowned the Antrim Senior Football Champions.
Down the years the Club had played in several different fields throughout the parish, and so members felt it was time that the Club owned their own ground. In the early seventies a plot of land was purchased from the Hodges estate and development of a playing field and pavilion became a reality.
1970 saw Hurling introduced and it was not long before success followed when, in 1974, Glenravel took the Division 3 League crown. Two Years later the Antrim Junior Hurling Championship was on it's way to the Glen for the first time. Another milestone in our history was recorded in July 1977 when Fr. Maginn Park was opened. Then, three years later the Social Club was opened, the first GAA Social Club outside of Belfast.
In 1978 the Intermediate Football Championship was won, and this was followed in 1981 by the Junior Hurling Championship title. This period in our history also brought success at County level in the Scor na Og in the quiz and group sections. June 1986, another important milestone in the history of the Conn Mag Aoidh Club, saw the start of a weekly newssheet being distributed as a way of relaying information and match reports around the Parish and beyond.
The next County title to be won by the Club was the Junior Hurling Championship in 1993, a feat repeated again in 1994. The next Football Championship won was the Under 21 Antrim title in 1998. This was followed by the Junior Football title the following year, the same year as the club's second pitch was opened.
The new Millennium started well with our Reserve football team winning the All County Division Four title and the Senior Hurling team winning the Division 3 crown. A year later our Senior Hurling team won promotion to Division 2 by again winning the Division 3, and to cap a very good year they went on to win the Intermediate Hurling title for the first time in the history of the Club. Not renowned for standing still, Conn Mag Aoidh C.L.G., Glenravel are now running some twenty-four teams spanning from Under 8 Football to both Hurling and Football at Senior level. In addition to this, planning has now commenced on a new community building with changing facilities, clubrooms, fitness suite and a facility for the local playgroup.